German Chocolate Snack Cake: Boyd Street Kitchen
Need something easy to throw in the kid’s lunch box or take to a tailgate or potluck? Then try this German Chocolate Snack Cake! They say it tastes like a dense brownie with a cheese cake topping.
German Chocolate Snack Cakes
Southern Living NOVEMBER 2009 and myrecipes.com
- Yield: Makes 18 squares
- Prep time:15 Minutes
- Total:2 Hours, 20 Minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (18.25-oz.) package German chocolate cake mix
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Arrange pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan. Bake pecans 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 300°.
2. Stir together cake mix, pecans, 1 egg, and butter; press mixture into bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
3. Beat powdered sugar, softened cream cheese, and remaining 3 eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spoon powdered sugar mixture over batter in pan, spreading to edges.
4. Bake at 300° for 1 hour. Let cake cool completely (about 1 hour). Remove cake from pan to a cutting board, and cut into 2 1/2- to 3-inch squares.
*Picture and recipe from Southern Living Classic Southern Desserts